Monday, June 10, 2013

Finding Inspiration...

I don't know about other authors and where they find inspiration for their wonderful works of art but I find mine in every day places such as television or a song.

My first release, Whiskey Whispers of the Past, was inspired by the song, "That's Why I'm Here" by Kenny Chesney. The song is sang from the point of view of an alcoholic who is in Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. It talks of losing every thing because of the demons he faces. The song became the inspiration for the male lead in Whiskey Whispers of the Past, Chance Daniels. Chance is a recovering alcoholic who moved from big city Los Angeles the small town Jonerstown, looking for a new start.

The female lead in my second, soon-to-be-released, book, Love Flourishes, was inspired by a character from an episode of CSI called "You've Got Male." She is a bit of an introvert who doesn't leave her house. She order from the internet and eats delivery food. This inspired Melinda "Mindy" Caldwell. She's an agoraphobic who hasn't left her house in more years than she cares to count.


The career of the female lead and her sister in my contracted story, Conflicted Jewel, comes from my stint as a jewelry salesperson, both costume and fine. I love jewelry and it seemed logical to have my characters doing something I loved. Sage and her sister, Brynne, run a small, family owned jewelry shop in Jonerstown, Pennsylvania.

My point is, inspiration is all around me. I can find it in every day activities or from past experiences. I have a notebook where I jot down my many story ideas. Some may never come to life but you just never know.

Thanks for stopping by and have a fantabulous day!

Lynn

4 comments:

  1. Let me give you two examples: one large and one small.
    Large: when I learned that the nearby cemetery was started in 1863 by my wife's ancestors, because they aided a wounded Confederate soldier after a local battle, I knew that story just screamed to be incorporated into a novel. So I did. Not yet published, but I hope to get it submitted this year.
    Small: as we visited my in-laws in their retirement community condo, I noticed most of the garage doors were open by approx. one foot. Supposedly to let out the hot air. But, I thought, if it can let air out, it can also let varmints IN. Especially a young child being manipulated by a gang of thugs. And that was the beginning of my recently published novel, Called to Arms Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Jeff. Good luck on getting your large inspiration published. I don't believe inspiration is large or small. It simply is what it is. It's something that grips our imagination and evolves from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! :) My inspiration definitely comes from life experiences. My first book, Harp Lessons, is what I would consider a "family book," as it imitates my family. But now that I've got that out of my system, I'm finding more inspiration from other things too. Right now, a lot comes from studying history and watching documentaries. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Shea. I hate to admit I'm not much of a history buff unless it's ancient history. But I love watching documentaries! I love the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Science Channel, etc...

    ReplyDelete